Lenovo officially announces Ideapad S10 UMPC [UPDATED]
Better late then never, Lenovo has officially announced that it will be releasing an UMPC in September called the Ideapad S10 to take on the other players in that category like the Asus Eee PC, MSI Wind, etc.
Features of the S10 will include:
- Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz processor
- Intel 945GSE chipset
- Microsoft Windows XP operating system (some countries will be available with Linux preloaded)
- Up to 160GB 2.5-inch SATA hard drive (5400 RPM)
- Up to 2GB of memory (depending on configuration)
- 10.2-inch widescreen LCD with LED backlight and native resolution of 1024 x 600 (some countries will also have a version available with a 9-inch screen)
- Nearly full-size keyboard (85%)
- Multi-touch trackpad
- Built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
- 10/100 Ethernet
- 4-in-1 multi-card reader
- 1.3 megapixel webcam
- Up to 3 hours battery life with 3-cell battery, up to 6 hours with 6-cell
- Available in black, white, or red
Another feature worth drawing special attention to is some sort of new heat dissipation technique which is supposed to keep the S10 from heating up your lap and wrists. A very welcome feature if it works well.
Pricing on the S10 in the US will start at $399 for a model with 512MB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive.
Looks like a pretty solid machine for the money. If you’re shopping for a small notebook computer and can wait a few more weeks this looks like one worth checking out.
For more info check out the press release here.
UPDATE: Just noticed that CrunchGear has found a video of the S10 in action so check it out below if you’re interested. Its just 11-seconds long and doesn’t really show anything , but if you can’t get enough of the S10 go for it.