Creative releases ZEN X-Fi media players
Touting it as “The Sound of Perfection”, Creative has released a new portable media player called the ZEN X-Fi, the first PMP to use the companies X-Fi technology to improve audio quality of compressed audio.
The ZEN X-Fi looks a bit like an iPhone only thicker. Features of the device include:
- Available in 8GB, 16GB or 32GB capacity
- 2.5-inch TFT 16.7 million color LCD with 320 x240 resolution
- Video formats supported include: MJPEG, WMV, MPEG-4 (including both DivX and XviD)
- Audio formats supported include: MP3, WMA, AAC5, WAV (ADPCM), Audible 2, 3, 4
- Only supports JPEG for photo format but other formats, such as BMP, GIF, PNG and TIFF, can all be converted to JPEG using the included software
- FM radio with 32 presets
- Equalizer with 8 presets and 5 band custom EQ
- Organizer with calendar, contacts, and task list
- Built-in speaker for playback without headphones
- Built-in microphone for recording voice memos
- Alarm function
- Connects to your PC via USB 2.0
- Requires Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, or Windows Vista
The 16GB and 32 GB version also include Wi-Fi support (802.11 b/g) to support something called “True Mobility” which allows you to stream music and photos from your PC wirelessly to your ZEN X-Fi device, even if you’re not at home. I assume that means that the software sets up a web server on your PC that the ZEN X-Fi connects to across the Internet, so if you’re worried about privacy and security you might want to wait for a few reviews to come out first that will hopefully address this.
The 8GB version is available for $149.99, the 16GB for $199.99, and the 32GB for $279.99. Both the 16GB and 32GB are available right now, and the 8GB will be released a bit later but is available for pre-order now.
For more info about the 8GB version check out the official product page here.
For more info about the 16GB or 32GB version check out the official product page here.