Nikon D700 officially announced [UPDATED]
Looks like the rumor about the Nikon D700 DSLR being revealed on Monday, June 30th panned out after all (if you’re in the US where it’s still technically the 30th).
After being rumored for weeks, Nikon has finally made it official and announced the D700 in France today. Focus Numerique (here’s a version translated to English) has the story but it’s in French–here are the official specs in English:
- Reflex digital compact format FX
- Full-format 24mm x 36mm) 12.1 megapixel sensor sensor
- EXPEED image processor with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing
- Active D-Lighting for better image contrast by applying tone compensation at the time of the capture
- Able to shoot 5fps, or 8fps when using optional MB-D10 battery pack with lithium-ion battery EN-EL4a or with 8 ‘AA’ batteries
- Multi-CAM3500FX AF system with 51 autofocus points (15 cross-type sensor), individually selectable or configurable in 9, 21 or 51-point settings
- 3-inch LCD with 920k dots and 170-degree viewing angle
- LiveView support with autofocus and two modes: handheld or tripod
- Dust removal system (same as the D300)
- Sensitivity from ISO 200 to 6400 but extendable down to 100 (equivalent) and up to 25,600 (equivalent)
- Shutter lag around 40ms
- HDMI output for connecting to HD video systems
- Moisture and dust resistant magnesium alloy body
- Wi-Fi and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4
The menus are a bit changed from other models giving you faster access to some features, but the menus are not customizable. It’s about the same size as the D300 and has a single compact flash slot but also accepts UDMA cards.
The viewfinder, unlike the D3, only shows 95% of the field (the D3 shows 100%). The may matter very little to some but be a deal break to others.
No release info just yet but look for it to sell for €2800 (around $4,400 US) for the body only…maybe the price will be bit lower when it actually hits the streets in the US?
Check out a few official pics here.
UPDATE: Found a bit more info about the D700 so I added it to the bullet list above. Also found the Nikon UK site has a product page up with more details–check it out here if you’re interested.
UPDATE 2: Okay, looks like Nikon USA has gotten their press release out and thankfully the price is a better than expected. Look for the D700 to be available in the US in late July for $2,999.95 for the body only. Sure, not cheap, but better than $4,400.
[Via Nikon Rumors]