Via announces OpenBook reference design
This morning Via announced the next version of its NanoBook UMPC, the OpenBook.
The OpenBook is a reference design, meaning that its design being distributed as a CAD file under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0 license so Via won’t be making the notebook itself but OEM’s will be able to using Via’s design.
Features of the OpenBook design include:
- 1.6GHz VIA C7-M ULV processor with dedicated side video processor able to play HD movies
- Using new VIA VX800 chipset
- 8.9-inch LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution
- WiMAX, HSDPA and EV-DO
- 3 USB ports
- 4-in-1 card reader
- 2 webcams
- Up to 2GB of DDR2 RAM
- Room for a 2.5-inch hard drive
- Supports Windows XP, Vista or Linux
- 4-cell battery with around 3 hours of life
Since VIA won’t be manufacturing the notebook itself they can’t give a for sure price point for OpenBook’s but expects the price to be around $600.
For more info about the OpenBook and to download the CAD files check out www.viaopenbook.com.
To see a hands-on video check out Engadget’s post here.