Ubuntu 8.04 “Hardy Heron” released
Fans of Ubuntu Linux can now download the final version of 8.04, aka “Hardy Heron”.
8.04 includes GNOME 2.22 and several other new features and architectural improvements such as:
- GVFS, a newly redesigned virtual filesystem abstraction layer
- PolicyKit, a secure privilege elevation system that is safer and more flexible than the anachronistic gksudo mechanism
- PulseAudio, a new sound server with support for network transparency and advanced mixing capabilities
- Wubi, a Windows-based installer that allows Ubuntu and Windows to coexist on the same partition
- Transmission bitTorrent client
- Cheese webcam application
- Brasero CD burning application
Updated versions of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, UbuntuStudio, Edubuntu and Mythbuntu have also been released. In case you’re unfamiliar with the different flavors of Ubuntu, no I didn’t make up those names–they’re real.
To check it out for yourself you can grab it from the official download link here (the servers are VERY slow right now so if you get a timeout try it again).
[Via Ars Technica]